Freed & Robert Ingersoll v. Florist Barronelle Stutzman and WA State v. Florist Barronelle Stutzman
Case #: 13-2-00871-5 (Consolidated with 13-2-00953-3)
Court Level: Benton County Superior Court
Date Filed: Freed & Robert Ingersoll v. Florist Barronelle Stutzman 18 April 2013; WA State v. Florist Barronelle Stutzman April 2013
Date Resolved: 27 March 2015
- 18 April 2013, the ACLU filed a lawsuit on behalf of a gay couple in Kennewick, Curt Freed and Robert Ingersoll, against a florist that refused to sell them flowers because of their sexual orientation. The suit says that the refusal of Arlene’s Flowers to sell flowers to the couple violates the Washington Law Against Discrimination.
- Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed a consumer protection lawsuit the same week against Arlene’s Flowers.
- 28 June 2013, Benton County Superior Court Judge Salvador Mendoza: (1) refused to recuse himself from the cases; and (2) consolidated the two lawsuits.
- 25 October 2013, in WA State v. Florist Barronelle Stutzman the defendant filed a motion arguing that the lawsuit brought by Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s office should be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction and standing, and for failing to try to resolve it through the Washington Human Rights Commission.
- 25 October 2013, the defendant also filed a separate motion asking that the claims against her in her personal capacity in the state case and the one brought by the couple be dismissed.
- A hearing was scheduled for February 2014 but was pushed back until October 2014.
- 27 March 2015, Judge Fines Washington Florist Over Same-Sex Wedding Flowers - By Derrick Nunnally, Associated Press
Michael Hall, et al. v. BNSF Railway Company
Case #: 2:2013cv02160
Date Filed: 3 December 2013
Ruling Date: 4 December 2013
- Two legally married same-sex couples (Carol Garrand and Amie Garrand, Elijah Uber and Michael Hall) filed a federal suit to obtain spouse health insurance coverage for themselves and all other workers because although same-gender civil marriage is legal in WA, employer BNSF refuses to comply.
- 4 December 2013, America’s largest freight rail carriers (BNSF, Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific, CSX, and others) announced they will provide health care benefits to same-sex spouses of their workers, starting 1 January 2014.
- 28 November 2014, the parties filed a Joint Status Report.
- 4 December 2014, an Order was issued setting Trial and Related Dates. The trial is scheduled for 16 November 2015.
- 23 February 2015, a Joint Stipulation of Dismissal was filed.
- 25 February 2015, the Dismissal was ordered.