State of Kansas v. Moriarty
Case #: 112,590
Court Level: State Supreme Court
Date Filed: 10 October 2014
Date of Ruling: 18 November 2014
- 8 October 2014, Johnson County District Judge Kevin P. Moriarty issued an administrative order allowing same-sex couples to marry in the county.
- 10 October 2014, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt asked the Kansas Supreme Court to stop same-sex couples’ marriages in Johnson County.
- 5 November 2014, the Court ordered the parties to show cause - responses due by 5:00pm on 14 November 2014.
- 10 November 2014, still waiting for the parties' responses to the order to show cause issued by the State Supreme Court on 5 November 2014. Those responses are due 14 November 2014. In the meantime, Judge Moriarty asked for the temporary stay to be lifted and the state responded.
- 14 November 2014, Respondents Judge Moriarty and Clerk McCurdy filed their response to the Court's Order to Show Cause.
- 18 November 2014, the Kansas Supreme Court lifted the temporary stay that blocked issuance of marriage licenses in Johnson County. Woot!