Debra Harris v. Millennium Hotel, et al.
Case #: S15230 (AK Supreme Court), 201116890 (District Level)
Filing Date: 24 September 2012
Ruling Date: 25 July 2014
- Lambda Legal filed suit because Alaska denies survivor benefits to same-gender couples, for whom marriage is banned by AK’s law and its constitution.
- April 2013 Lambda Legal filed notice of appeal with the Alaska Workers' Compensation Appeals Commission.
- 28 June 2013, the Alaska Workers' Compensation Appeals Commission issued a decision which affirmed the denial of Debbie's claim on statutory grounds without ruling upon her constitutional challenge.
- July 2013 Lambda Legal filed an appeal with the state Supreme Court.
- 14 October 2013, AWCAC filed their opening brief.
- The Alaska Supreme Court heard argument in June 2014.
- 25 July 2014, the AK Supreme Court ruled that the same-sex partner of someone killed on the job should have access to the AK workers’ compensation law.