- Another so-called "religious freedom" bill, this is a shocker coming just after SB 296, also sponsored by Sen. Adams, advanced.
- 6 March 2015, The ACLU of Utah Strongly Opposes SB 297, Which Would Allow Discrimination Against Gay and Transgender Utahns - ACLU Press Release
- 6 March 2015, Utah’s SB297 is Poison Pill Targeting Religious Minorities, Racial Minorities, LGBT People - By Adam Talbot, HRC
- 9 March 2015, passed the second and third readings; sent to the House of Representatives.
- 11 March 2015, passed by the House and sent back to the Senate.
- 12 March 2015, SB 297 FAQs.
- 12 March 2015, bill received from the House and signed by president of the Senate; sent to Legislative Research and General Counsel for enrolling.
- 16 March 2015, received by the Senate for enrolling.
- Passed by the Senate and sent to the governor.
- 20 March 2015, Governor signs bill [SB 297] letting clerks opt out of same-sex marriages on religious grounds - By Ben Winslow, Fox13
Date Introduced: 4 March 2015
Author/Sponsor: Senators Stephen H. Urquhart and J. Stuart Adams, Rep. Brad L. Dee
Date Signed into Law: 12 March 2015
- This is an inclusive non-discrimination bill which modifies Utah's Anti-Discrimination and Fair Housing acts to address both religious freedoms and discrimination against sexual orientation and gender identity. This measure would make it unlawful for employers and landlords to discriminate against individuals based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- 4 March 2015, About 55,000 LGBT People in Utah Would Be Protected from Discrimination under New Bill - Williams Institute Press Release
- 5 March 2015, In our opinion: SB296 bridges anti-discrimination, religious freedoms divide; could be a model for other states - Deseret News Editorial
- 6 March 2015, SB 296 passed the UT Senate with broad support, 23-5, and Gov. Gary Herbert has said he intends to sign the bill into law if it comes to his desk.
- 10 March 2015, Anti-discrimination bill moves ahead toward final vote - By Jennifer Dobner, Salt Lake City Tribune
- 11 March 2015, LGBT anti-discrimination bill clears Legislature, on its way to Utah governor - By Jennifer Dobner, The Salt Lake City Tribune
- 12 March 2015, Utah's Republican Gov. Gary Herbert is expected to sign the [LGBT antidiscrimination] bill at a ceremony scheduled for 6pm today - By Jennifer Dobner, The Salt Lake Tribune
- 12 March 2015, from Kate Kendall of NCLR on her Facebook: "I know the Utah legislation is flawed. It has too many exemptions (many of which already exist in Utah law) and doesn't cover public accommodations. It is not a bill we want modeled in other states. Nevertheless, for Utah it is a good move forward for the LGBT community. LGBT Utahns will be safer at work and in their ability to put a roof over their head after this becomes law."
- 12 March 2015
- 12 March 2015, watch as Governor Herbert signs SB 296.