Click the name of each continent in the sidebar navigation to the left to read the marriage equality status for specific countries. Please contact us with additions, corrections or updates.
Due to current political situations we have taken the following license:
- We've listed Egypt with the Middle East.
- We've listed info for the Eurasian countries of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Russia with Europe.
- Politically, Israel is officially recognized as a European country.
- Though Greenland and Iceland are geographically part of North America, culturally and politically they are associated with Europe, which is where we have listed them.
- We've listed Afghanistan and Pakistan with the Middle East, though geographically they are Asian countries.
From Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, updated 2014-02-05: Gay Marriage Around the World.